Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin - Institute for European Ethnology

Erasmus+ outgoings

Would you like to go abroad as part of the Erasmus+ program?

Studying abroad is particularly recommended for anyone studying European Ethnology!

We look forward to hearing from you if you would like to gather information concerning any plans to do a stay abroad – both in terms of content and logistics –, and how to better adapt it to your current situation.
We recommend that you plan a stay abroad as soon as this could be possible – even from the very beginning of your studies – and advise you to perhaps supplement your stay at our partner institutes with a sponsored internship abroad.
Do not hesitate to contact us and we will do all of our best to guide and support you in this process.


Student Mobility

Options for a stay abroad
SMS (Student Mobility for Studies)
  • With this program it is possible to study abroad for one or two semesters both in the Winter semester and in the Summer semester. In many cases an extension is possible, but further Erasmus funding from Humboldt-Universität has to be checked separately.
  • Students can now be supported by Erasmus+ for up to one year in each phase of their studies (BA, MA, PhD).
  • The application process is handled by us!
  • Currently 29 partner universities in 16 European countries offer opportunities for our European Ethnology students wishing to go abroad.
SMP (Student Mobility Placement) - Internships abroad

This program offers students the attractive opportunity to complete an internship in another European country with financial support.

  • The scholarship amounts to about 400€ per month. The duration of an internship must be a minimum of 61 days up to 12 months.
  • This program allows you to choose an institution, arrange an internship and apply for an Erasmus scholarship.EU institutions, missions abroad of the applicants' countries of origin, such as embassies, cultural institutes (e.g. Goethe Institutes), schools and other educational institutions as well as medical institutions are excluded.
  • If organizing the internship on your own, please consider the frequent preparation time when planning your internship: We recommend a preparation time of at least two months.
  • You can also combine an Erasmus internship with an Erasmus+ SMS.
  • More information: HU International.
Studying at Universities outside of Europe

You can also apply to go outside of Europe. For more information on the current offer, the conditions, and how to apply please get in touch with HU International.


  • Successfully completed at least two semesters at the HU. Only very few partner universities (e.g. Amsterdam) require a minimum of three or four semesters.
  • Master the language at B2 level. You can take the language test at the Humboldt University Language Centre and enclose the results with your application.


Your application must be submitted by 31 January

  • This deadline applies to the entire following academic year (winter semester and summer semester).
  • Candidates will be selected by about mid-February.
  • Any remaining places will be advertised in March.
  • From April: Planning of the stay abroad and nominations at the partner universities.
  • At some universities you have to apply independently, but you will get our support.
  • Until you submit your application, you should do the following:
    • Since the cost of living varies enormously depending on the country or city, you should include the affordability in your choice.
    • Take a look at the lecture directories and self-descriptions of the partner institutes and select them according to your interests.
  • If you have any further questions or would like to receive reports on our experience, please contact us.

To apply please submit as a bundle (e.g. ZIP file) the following documents to our institute’s Erasmus office before the deadline

1. Complete Application form

2. Curriculum vitae

3. Letter of motivation (what, when, where and why you want to study under the Erasmus+ program)

4. List of all completed courses (with details of the average grade)

5. Appropriate language certificate

6. Only for Master's students: BA certificate


Erasmus Scholarship
  • The amount of the scholarship is based on the cost of living in the host country and amounts 330€ to 450€ per month.
  • Maximum funding periods:
    1 semester: 4 months
    2 semester: 8 months
  • Please note that the monthly rate and the maximum funding period can change annually and depend on the total number of HU applicants.
  • The payment is made in two instalments: approximately 2/3 of the grant is paid at the beginning and the remaining 1/3 after completion of the study abroad.
  • If the minimum of 21 ECTS per semester / term is not reached, an application for hardship must be made. This must explain the reasons why the required ECTS was not achieved or not passed. Further information can be found in the general Erasmus office hour.
  • For children travelling with you, a subsidy of 200€ per month is also paid. The first instalment will be paid once the confirmation of registration has been received from the host university. The second child benefit instalment can be paid in January.
  • Students with disabilities receive a grant of the necessary amount upon application.
Additional funding options
  • BAföG supports study visits abroad. In any case, you should consider applying for a foreign BAföG. In many cases, this is also possible for students who do not receive a national BAföG due to the additional costs of studying abroad.
  • Education loan
  • Scholarships (DAAD, etc.)

Before Departure
Learning Agreement
  • The form for the Learning Agreement
  • You must fill in here the courses you would like to attend at the host university.
  • Important: You must pass at least 21 ECTS successfully per semester, which is why you should book 30 ECTS per semester.
  • During your stay, the remaining pages of this contract must also be completed and signed again.


Leave semester (Urlaubssemester)
  • Even during your Erasmus stay, you have to confirm your attendance at the HU (Rückmeldung). However, a stay abroad is also a reason for a leave of absence (Beurlaubung). Please contact the Student Service Center for advice on whether a leave of absence is worthwhile for you and find out more on the website of the matriculation office.
Health insurance coverage
  • The ERASMUS program does not offer insurance cover. All students must check whether they are sufficiently insured abroad by the German health insurance (foreign health insurance, liability insurance, accident insurance and repatriation insurance) and if necessary, take out an additional foreign health insurance.


End of stay
Renewal request

Would you like to stay longer at your host university than agreed in the original Grant Agreement? If you only went for one semester in the winter semester, you could extend for another semester. To do this, you must first ask your host university whether an extension is possible. You will then need to fill in the extension form and send it to Cornelia Marx from HU International, together with the confirmation from your host university. If you have any questions, please contact us.


There are many ways in which your academic achievements abroad can be recognized. You can have individual courses credited within our modules, as well as complete an entire module abroad. Please contact us if you require assistance.


Forms ans Links

Downloads for ERASMUS+ Student Mobility

Application form

Learning Agreement




For more information on the conditions, and how to apply please get in touch with the HU International Office.

Teaching Mobility (STA)

For more information on the conditions, and how to apply please get in touch with the HU International Office.

Staff Mobility (STT)

For more information on the conditions, and how to apply please get in touch with the HU International Office